Search This Blog

August 15, 2012

The Canadian Immigration System: Points System

So, in case you didn’t know this (I was only slightly aware of it before doing some research), Canada’s immigration process (for “economic immigrants”) operates on a POINT SYSTEM.

When submitting your application, you can gain points in six selection factors, or categories. The categories and the weigh assigned to them changes over time as the government tries to prioritize immigrants who meet the needs of the country. In order to be deemed acceptable as an immigration candidate, you must rack up at least 67 POINTS (that’s the minimum passing number). If your score is lower than 67, you will mostly likely not qualify to immigrate to Canada. And even if you get a score of 67 or higher, you may not qualify for immigration. However, the score you receive is still a good indicator of your chances.

The most recent changes to the point system emphasize the importance of the following qualities: YOUTH and LANGUAGE SKILLS.

If you’re thinking of coming to Canada as an economic immigrant, try the points calculator here:

I tried the calculator using my own information and stats to see if I would qualify to immigrate to Canada given my skills etc. I barely made it in. The threshold is 67 points to pass and I only scored 69. Most of my points came from belonging to the coveted 21-49 age category and for my proficiency in both official languages. My education, on the other hand, counted for next to nothing as I have yet to complete my degree. The contents of my savings account barely met the requirements.

If you are a Canadian, I encourage you to calculate your points and see if you would qualify. I especially recommend this to those who speak disparagingly of immigrants in Canada because it will give you a sense of just how qualified you have to be in order to immigrate to this country.

More resources and information here:

3 comments:

  1. took the quiz and got a 52 :(
    no Canada for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice informative post dear. now sharing some stuff about .Canadian Immigration Reforms guide

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point system is compulsory for candidates who opt for Canada Immigration

    ReplyDelete